Impressive Homemade Pop-Up Truck Camper On A Toyota Tundra
It’s built on an aluminum frame he welded together himself and includes quite a few notable features, especially for a Home-Built Truck Camper:
- Pop Up Roof with a Four Wheel Camper style roof-lift mechanism.
- Slide-On Truck Camper design that can be left on jacks while using the truck for “truck stuff”
- Welded aluminum framed walls and roof above a plywood foundation box.
- Simple “Slide Out” room (technically a fold-down room) that is big enough to sleep in but is probably most useful for stashing extra stuff out of the way while camping.
- Outdoor shower with an on-demand hot water heater.
Skylight / Hatch to roof
- External propane tank rack
- 100W Solar panel
Relevant to the pop-up roof:
The roof is framed out of welded aluminum and (I think) skinned with 1/4″ plywood and sheet aluminum. The lifters are made of plywood in the general style of Four Wheel Campers, with a few modifications in the way the lifters are locked into the vertical position and a few shortcuts that I imagine keep the weight of the lifters down. But most of the lifting is done by a set of four automotive struts located on the exterior.
Check out the video — It’s definitely one of the most impressive DIY truck campers I’ve come across on the internet!